Job Title/Reporting to
Data Engineer with the following grade levels:
All Data Engineers report to the relevant Team Lead located in Centurion, Pretoria.
- Junior Data Engineer
- Intermediate Data Engineer
- Senior Data Engineer
The purpose of the Data Engineer role is to design, implement, test and maintain the architecture and infrastructure of a data platform and related components or systems. This includes, but is not limited to, data pipelines, customising and managing integration tools, databases, data lakes or warehouses, APIs and making data available for any related analytics systems such as reporting tools or Machine Learning pipelines.
The Data Engineer responsibilities include working in a larger team to assist Analysts, Data Scientists or Machine Learning Engineers with their data needs and requirements. To do this job successfully, you need exceptional skills in programming with technical proficiencies in the latest data-related technologies.
Just as important as the technical proficiencies are the solution design patterns, common application frameworks, and testing abilities that make up a fully developed and well-rounded Data Engineer.
- Excellent knowledge of the latest required languages, development technologies and frameworks.
- Examples of required back-end languages and technologies – Python
- Additional languages that are beneficial: Java, C# (.NET)
- Examples of required data related technologies – Apache Druid, Apache Beam, Apache Kafka, Structured and unstructured databases, Apache Spark or Hadoop, Apache Airflow, ELK.
- Good working knowledge of designing, developing & maintaining end-to-end data-pipelines.
- Good working knowledge of API design and development.
- Good working knowledge of data lake, database or data warehouse architecture and design.
- Good working knowledge of cloud technologies GCP/AWS/Azure.
- Good working knowledge of Agile development practises.
- Good working knowledge of Docker containers and Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of machine learning and analytics concepts are beneficial, but not required.
Values and Behaviours:
- We are honest and respect each other.
- We challenge issues but honour commitments.
- We believe that innovation is a way of life.
- We have a passion to win; a freedom to fail; but only once for the same reason.
- We take responsibility for our actions; we are accountable for achieving results and we take ownership of our mistakes.
- We do the right thing for the right reason.
- We are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
- We are fearless with nerves of steel.
- We believe in teamwork and partnership.
- We are diverse yet united.
- We are involved yet independent.
- We believe in learning and continuous improvement.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- Annual Salary CTC
- Wellness Programs
- Flexible / Remote Working