Job Title/Reporting to
IoT DevOps Engineer reporting to the IoT Operations Manager located in Centurion, Pretoria
The primary mission of the IoT DevOps Engineer is to build, deploy, manage, and support all the cloud-based software using the latest automation, virtualization, and containerization technologies thereby ensuring that solutions are continuously deployed with minimal disruption to Production solutions.
Key Result Areas (Major Accountabilities)
- Assist and support Development-, QA-, and Support teams to build and deploy software to DEV, QA, and PROD (could be multiple deployment lines to multiple groups of clients)
- Managing, monitoring, and fine-tuning all installed systems and infrastructure
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Assist to troubleshoot technical problems.
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Provide technical direction to IT support staff
- Ensure constant availability of technical resources
- IoT CARE team
- IoT Custom Development Team
- IoT Core Product Development Teams
- IoT Business Analyst/Solution Architect
- Third Party Software suppliers
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Solid exposure to virtualisation and container technologies; especially Docker, Kubernetes, VMWare, and Hyper-V
- Highly efficient in network setups. Have low level understanding of OSI network layers, HTTP, TCP and IPAM
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., PowerShell, shell scripts, Bash)
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Windows and UNIX /Linux based environments
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g. IIS, SQL Server, RabbitMQ, DNS, AD, etc.)
- Solid Cloud experience, preferably in Microsoft Azure
- Experience with CI/CD tools like VSTS to do automated builds and releases
- Experience with automation software (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, Puppet, CFEngine, Chef)
- Experience with development tools, servers or services (e.g. VSTS, NPM, NuGet, GIT, etc.)
- Understand how to do Azure deployments; AWS experience an advantage
- Experience using Webroot, SSL and overall security experience advantageous
- Worked with some sort of distributed file system and attach to Linux instances
- Experience with Docker Swarm and/or Kubernetes orchestration
- RabbitMQ setup and configuration
- Interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Planning and organizing skills
- Must have a passion for infrastructure setup and configuration
- Must have a passion for Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
- Computer competency, critical thinking, problem solving, close listening, clear verbal and written communication
- 5+ years’ experience in system engineering and IT/DevOps support required
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology or Computer Engineering
- IT Diploma or equivalent
- Develops workable implementation plans.
- Communicates changes effectively.
- Builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
- Prepares and supports those affected by change.
- Monitors transition and evaluate results.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others.
- Inspires respect and trust.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Displays willingness to make decisions.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Makes timely decisions.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Values and Behaviours:
- We are honest and respect each other.
- We challenge issues but honour commitments.
- We believe that innovation is a way of life.
- We have a passion to win; a freedom to fail; but only once for the same reason.
- We take responsibility for our actions; we are accountable for achieving results and we take ownership of our mistakes.
- We do the right thing for the right reason.
- We are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
- We are fearless with nerves of steel.
- We believe in teamwork and partnership.
- We are diverse yet united.
- We are involved yet independent.
- We believe in learning and continuous improvement.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- Annual Salary CTC
- Wellness Programs
- Flexible / Remote Working