Job Title/Reporting to
Product Engineering Manager reporting to the Chief of Product Engineering located in Centurion, Pretoria
A Product Engineering Manager manages all the activities of the team; sets attainable goals to team members in order for the project to be finished on time; provides guidance to team members to encourage work productivity; makes sure the timeline is followed by the teams; manages multiple projects at once; ensures appropriate procedures and processes are followed when it comes to software development; represents the team in meetings; participates in design control activities; monitors, evaluates and ensures the completion of tasks and projects; analyses software requirements; implements design plans, reviews unit tests; documents software development; monitors status of developing software; writes, reviews and revises product requirements and specifications; participates in other areas of the software development process; and provides technical support to other company personnel.
Key Result Areas (Major Accountabilities)
- Develop and manage the team
- Guide, coach and mentor software development engineers.
- Provide project management and technical leadership for every aspect of software.
- Prepare lifecycle for different projects inclusive of research, development, design, evaluation, testing along with delivery to product management.
- Supervise architecture plus lead efforts to develop technical roadmap of all projects.
- Establish and stimulate software development standards and processes along with best practices for delivery of scalable and high quality software.
- Perform closely with Engineers, Developers and Product Management throughout organization to influence product development assisting or improving products.
- Develop relations with existing and prospective internal customers to interpret all individual requirements.
- Learn and display as how products would add value to respective business.
- Ensure top quality design reviews attaining business goals.
- Supervise resource allocation to assure attainment of apt business and personnel development goals.
- Involve in strategic plans to accomplish technical as well as business with leadership chain, team and with customers.
- Manage and execute software development projects from beginning to finish.
- Evaluate projects, develop and update schedules plus supervise project status.
- Collaborate effectively with all team members as well as hold regular team meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Experience of people management and the ability to lead and influence others
- Experience in formal personal development planning and individual, team and process performance management
- Proven experience in leading and managing the delivery of system/software development projects in a structured environment
- Experience in a variety of software development approaches and methodologies including Agile and Waterfall
- Experience in both architecture and implementation-level software design
- Experience in requirements capture, analysis techniques and process improvement approaches Experience in the development of software using c#, .Net and SQL Server technologies
- An understanding and exposure to Team Foundation Server and ALM.
- Experience in the usage of UML Strong facilitation and coaching skills Excellent personal organisation and ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
- Able to influence and drive projects to meet key milestones and overcome challenges
- Comfortable working without routine supervision
- A desire to remain technically capable and an expert in current technologies
- 5+ years’ experience as a Software Developer
- Prior experience in a technical leadership position
- College or University degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
Leadership Capabilities (TBC):
- Proficient with Microsoft .NET 3.5+ development using C# In depth knowledge and experience with core Microsoft .Net technologies including: WCF, WPF, WF, LINQ and EF
- Extensive experience designing and developing enterprise grade software
- Experience with source control management systems and continuous integration/deployment environments
- Experience with automated testing Experience with agile development methodologies including Kanban and Scrum Experience with multi-threading and concurrency
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Comprehensive understanding of object-oriented and service-oriented application development techniques and theories
- Internally motivated, able to work proficiently both independently and in a team environment
- Strong communication skills with both internal team members and external business stakeholders
- Develops workable implementation plans.
- Communicates changes effectively.
- Builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
- Prepares and supports those affected by change.
- Monitors transition and evaluate results.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others.
- Inspires respect and trust.
- Accepts feedback from others.
- Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Displays willingness to make decisions.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Makes timely decisions.
- Sets and achieves challenging goals.
- Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Values and Behaviours:
- We are honest and respect each other.
- We challenge issues but honour commitments.
- We believe that innovation is a way of life.
- We have a passion to win; a freedom to fail; but only once for the same reason.
- We take responsibility for our actions; we are accountable for achieving results and we take ownership of our mistakes.
- We do the right thing for the right reason.
- We are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
- We are fearless with nerves of steel.
- We believe in teamwork and partnership.
- We are diverse yet united.
- We are involved yet independent.
- We believe in learning and continuous improvement.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- Annual Salary CTC
- Wellness Programs
- Flexible / Remote Working